Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wise Men (and Women!) STILL seek Him!!


My oldest had a favorite thing to do at home with his father and I. He would hide. I think most children do. He did this A LOT! He scared me a bit, because I was concerned - were we paying enough attention? What if he got lost? I was a very young and inexperienced mother and spent much more time worrying than praying in his earliest years, and I grew as he grew. It turns out that he just LOVED to be found! He got such a satisfaction in the adventure of "hiding" and "seeking"! And the intimacy associated with us being in on the secret of his location! I do believe he liked knowing he mattered enough for us to seek after him. It's important to note that his goal was not to prevent us from finding him. The goal was 1) to be sought after, and then 2) to be FOUND!

The past few days I have been reminded through scriptures, that when we seek Him for knowledge, wisdom, truth, providence, direction, courage - He ALWAYS answers. We show our humility in seeking Him, and our desire for Him and His ways, and our faith in Him. In Daniel 2, Daniel didn't just quietly accept the execution order for all the wise men in the kingdom, he SOUGHT a reason why from the guard, and he received an answer. Then Daniel sought agreement and strength in his prayer partners in verses 17, 18. Here's an excerpt "So that they would desire and request mercy of The God of Heaven concerning this secret, that Daniel and his companions should not perish with the rest of the wise men of Babylon." Verse 19 is the answer! "Then the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel blessed The God of Heaven". (there's that THANKSGIVING again!).

This same pattern occurs in Matthew 2. The Wise Men are seeking Jesus, following the star to His location. As it came time to leave, the Amplified Bible tells us in verse 12 "And receiving an answer to their asking, they were divinely instructed and warned in a dream not to go back to Herod...". They sought Jesus, and they found Him. They sought direction, they received direction!

Every day for the past few months I have been making a prayer of a verse in Psalms "Show me Your ways Oh Lord, Teach me Your Paths". Because I am learning how very futile my thoughts and knowledge are, on my own. Truly, in every way, in the large and the small, the grand and the minute, I am needful of His grace, His light, His strength, His peace, His provision. Out of all these if I had to pick one - His light or direction/knowledge is one of the most valuable to me. Because without His light, I risk wasting, or misappropriating His rich blessings to me.

This week as I have been letting the beauty of the TRUE Christmas Story come to life and to light in me, I keep coming across this theme. The theme of seeking Him, the pattern of the Wise Men, back in Daniel's day and in the time of Jesus birth, as well as the BENEFITS of seeking Him! The fact that it pleases Him that we seek Him! I want to be that Wise woman! I want my husband and sons, one day my daughters-in-law, all my nieces and nephews, brothers and sisters, parents and friends to have the wisdom and joy that comes from SEEKING Him always!

Listen to what Daniel said of our God, after the secret was revealed to him. "Blessed be the name of God forever and ever! For wisdom and might are His! He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and sets up kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding! He reveals the deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him!"

May we ever seek Him and reap the rewards in living with knowledge necessary in these challenging times, which job to take, which one to pass on, which path of education to steer our child(ren) to and through? What to do with retirement stocks? Keep investing? move to something stable? What is stable now? Should I start that new class? Why are we still dealing with this? HE has the answers! He leads us by peace, day at a time!

A God of His Word - Words in red - Matthew 7:7 Amplified: "Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking (reverently) and (the door) will be opened to you."

Seek
1. to go in search or quest of: to seek the truth.
2. to try to find or discover by searching or questioning: to seek the solution to a problem.
3. to try to obtain: to seek fame.
4. to try or attempt (usually fol. by an infinitive): to seek to convince a person.
5. to go to: to seek a place to rest.
6. to ask for; request: to seek advice.
7. Archaic. to search or explore



Photobucket
"The path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more unto the perfect day" Proverbs 4:18


Photobucket

Merry Christmas! Much love, ya'll! Maria

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered this page while looking for a picture of The Wise Men. This is a beautiful place! Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and blessings for The New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, and REALLY thanks for leaving a comment here in the Squawk Box! I love to hear your thoughts! May God speak softly to you today!

Photobucket